Sunday, December 20, 2009

It's almost Christmas!

OMG...Christmas is only a few days away. Yes, I'm done shopping. No, I'm not done wrapping gifts and no, I haven't mailed gifts yet to out of town family members. It's ok though...they are used to it and they haven't mailed their gifts to me either. As I sit here after spending the day with family watching football (my favorite Sunday activity) I realized the reason behind my current funk that I've been in. Fact is that I miss my Dad.

Christmas is all about spending time with friends and family and I've definitely been doing as much of that as possible. I'm very close to my family and have a great group of friends. Nothing will ever begin to fill the void that was created the day my Dad died though. This isn't my first Christmas without him. Actually, it's my 17th. Doesn't make me miss him any less. This year is also my cousin's first Christmas without her Dad. My uncle died a few days before Father's Day this year. I know what she's going through. Maybe that's why we spend so much time together. We do take care of each other when we get sad.

Actress Brittany Murphy died earlier today. It's a shock to everyone. All of the articles have spoken about her films and the legacy she leaves behind. My first thought was of her mother. No mother should ever have to face finding their child dead. My second thought was that this is such a horrible time of year to loose someone you love. Holidays are all about happiness and celebration. Her family and friends are going through incredible pain instead. That's more than anyone should have to deal with. My prayers go out to them.

So, as I sit her and look at my Christmas tree, I can remember almost every story behind almost every ornament. It makes me feel good to have such memories. I will spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with my family and I will hold them close. We have a 2 year old in the family so it will definitely be a lot of fun. I will also say a prayer for families like Brittany Murphy's. I also ask that you all say a prayer for the families of soldiers who are serving overseas. For every full holiday dinner table out there, there will be ones with an empty chair because those men and women are brave enough to leave their families to fight for our freedoms.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment